Saturday, October 10, 2009

Diane Arbus: The freakshow








Art lovers, photographers and critics alike lap up Arbus' portraits like they are crack for the art-starved soul. We say she is an innovative and significant photographer - her techniques, her composition, her incisive cultural commentary make her one of the biggest and most successful names in the field. However there is one criticism that finds its way to Arbus that refuses to be ignored and that has more than anything made me think about the nature and ethics of photographing people. The question is: is it Arbus' photography that we cooly appreciate or are Arbus' unusual subjects that which we are oddly attracted to? The freakshows of the 19th century, with their bearded ladies and siamese twins were a form of entertainment for the masses in which ordinary people paid and gathered around to revel in the perverse pleasure of human anomaly. We all stare, letting ourselves be simultaneously fascinated and disgusted by that which will never enter our social world, taking comfort in our relative normality. Is this the same pleasure that we take in Arbus' photos, made legitimate by its status as art? Were it not for her subjects, how would we judge the artistic merit of these photos? These are the questions I ask myself every time I have taken a photograph of a person who I thought was unusual, whether in appearance, dress or behavior. Ultimately my interest in people supercedes both my ethics and the desire to see on portraits an egomaniacal fingerprint of the artist - question their merit if you will...




3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. After having my curiosity piqued by your post, I looked this artist up online and found many art sites on which to view her work - and couldn't *stop* looking at it - especially those of people from "everyday" encounters. My mom has always had this idea to make a book of photos of people that she sees that intrigue her, for one reason or another, but hasn't, I think, because she doesn't know if people would be interested. I feel that Arbus's works give testimony to the fact that we, as human beings, are fascinated by other human beings - we see others like ourselves who are internally and externally twisted, perfect, disfigured and lovely, all in possession of wildly interesting and beautiful spirits... What daring art! What inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  3. did you say inspiration? my work here is done. :)

    ReplyDelete